Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Requesting an altitude from Microsoft

Wim_VervoornWim_Vervoorn Member Posts: 15

Hello,

I am trying to register a new altitude for a driver I write. I issued a request to [email protected] several times now and never got a response.

I have done this in the past without any problems. From the current information on the website I don't have a clue who I should contact to sort this out. If anyone has a suggeistion it would help me a lot!

Thanks in advance,

Wim Vervoorn
Eltan Comm B.V. The Netherlands

Comments

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 7,913

That's still the correct alias to use, as far as I know.

I also know that, in the past, they've "gone dark" for a while... while they accumulate a number of requests, and then complete them all at once.

If it's been WEEKS that you've been waiting for a response, I'd contact them through your usual/best channel (or open a WDK support case, if you don't HAVE a usual channel).

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Wim_VervoornWim_Vervoorn Member Posts: 15

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I issued a WDK support case.

Wim

The Program Manager for the WDK confirmed what I wrote above: The group responsible for handing out altitudes accumulates requests and answers them approximately once per month.

Moral of the story: Patience is a virtue.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Wim_VervoornWim_Vervoorn Member Posts: 15
    via Email
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you that patience is a virtue. And sure this takes some time.

The issue is that my first request was in April. Which is well over a month.

Best regards,

Wim Vervoorn

Outlook voor Android downloaden

Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 9:05:45 PM
    To: Wim_Vervoorn
    Subject: Re: [NTFSD] Requesting an altitude from Microsoft

OSR https://community.osr.com/

Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) commented on Requesting an altitude from Microsoft

The Program Manager for the WDK confirmed what I wrote above: The group responsible for handing out altitudes accumulates requests and answers them approximately once per month.

Moral of the story: Patience is a virtue.

Peter

my first request was in April.

Yikes. Seems like even when there is virtue, not all necessarily ends well.

If I were you I would be... more than just a little unhappy. Covid or no Covid... it’s just not that hard to allocate an altitude.

Thanks for bringing this here, and for making us aware of such backups. It will help us all in our planning.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers