Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

What does a failure in HVCI look like?

Gabe_JonesGabe_Jones Member Posts: 69

Our current drivers are Device Guard ready, but I wanted to see what a failure looks like, so I pulled out a version from a few years ago, loaded it on Windows 10 Enterprise with "Virtualization Based Protection of Code Integrity" enabled, and...nothing. Nothing bad, that is. I expected an earth-shattering kaboom, or at the very least an entry in the Code Integrity event log, but the driver loads and is usable.

I know this particular driver is in violation, because I can enable Driver Verifier code integrity checks and get a break in the kernel debugger every time the driver allocates. Are there no obvious runtime effects from continuing to violate these requirements, even with all the Device Guard stuff enabled? (This is a non-WHQL driver. Obviously passing the HLK these days requires getting through the HVCI test.)