Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Use of extra create parameters allocated from lookaside list

Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 245

Hello !

We can allocate extra create parameters from lookaside list.

Let’s consider next scenario:
Fltregisterfilter - now we have valid pflt_filter.
FltInitExtraCreateParameterLookasideList
Fltstartfiltering
At each pre-create allocate ecp from lookaside list and attach to callback data

So far so good.

Now I want to unload my filter.
I need to call FltDeleteExtraCreateParameterLookasideList.
However there can still be create operations in progress with my attached ecp - io manager will try to free them to deleted lookaside list.
I can’t call FltDeleteExtraCreateParameterLookasideList after fltunregisterfilter because we need valid filter to delete lookaside list.

So it’s look like I can use ECPs from lookaside list only in fltcreatefileex2 calls - in that case I know when all creates that use lookaside ECPs finished and I won’t start new creates after I decide to unload.

However here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ddi/fltkernel/nf-fltkernel-fltallocateextracreateparameterfromlookasidelist it is said “ Drivers must free all ECP context structures and lookaside lists they create before unloading. However, if a file system or file system filter driver attaches an ECP to an existing or newly-created ECP_LIST while processing an IRP_MJ_CREATE request, this ECP is automatically cleaned up when the IRP completes.”
So it seems lookaside ECPs can be attached to callback data.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to somehow drain all creates that have lookaside ECPs attached ?

Comments

• rod_widdowsonrod_widdowson Member - All Emails Posts: 1,132

The rules around ECPs are Byzantine and in particular SRV isn't very good at cleaning up after itself.

Frankly I think I once understood them (the rules) but I was probably mistaken.

The only guarantee I have found is to remove them yourself in post create.

This becomes problematic if if you are wanting to have an ECP survive reparse - but that just needs special handling.

• Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 245

Thank you Rod !
    Good to know about srv.

Guess I just won’t attach lookaside ECPs to callback data.

• Scott_Noone_(OSR)Scott_Noone_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 3,302

I have always worked under the assumption that FltMgr keeps my PFLT_FILTER referenced until after my filter unload callback. if it doesn't then we're all doomed as it's pretty much impossible to solve your problem.

For my sanity I just put a breakpoint in an unload routine. Here's the PFLT_FILTER at the start of unload:

1: kd> !fltkd.fltobj ffff9605e1920010 1

FLT_OBJECT: ffff9605e1920010  [02000000] Filter
       RundownRef               : 0x0000000000000002 (1)
       PointerCount             : 0x00000002 
       PrimaryLink              : [ffff9605dfb5d020-ffff9605de4c3020] 

And here it is after FltUnregisterFilter:

1: kd> !fltkd.fltobj ffff9605e1920010 1

FLT_OBJECT: ffff9605e1920010  [02000003] Filter DRAINING ZOMBIED
       RundownRef               : 0x0000000000000001 (0) drained
       PointerCount             : 0x00000001 
       PrimaryLink              : [ffff9605dfb5d020-ffff9605de4c3020] 

And putting a breakpoint on the last pointer count:

1: kd> dt FLTMGR!_FLT_OBJECT ffff9605e1920010
       +0x000 Flags            : 0x2000003 (No matching name)
       +0x004 PointerCount     : 1
       +0x008 RundownRef       : _EX_RUNDOWN_REF
       +0x010 PrimaryLink      : _LIST_ENTRY [ 0xffff9605`dfb5d020 - 0xffff9605`de4c3020 ]
       +0x020 UniqueIdentifier : _GUID {765d6ad3-000a-0000-6117-0700065a72e9}
    1: kd> ba w4 ffff9605e1920010+4
    1: kd> g
    Breakpoint 2 hit
    FLTMGR!FltpObjectPointerDereference+0x1f:
    fffff802`f403b193 cmp     eax,1
    1: kd> kc
     # Call Site
    00 FLTMGR!FltpObjectPointerDereference
    01 FLTMGR!FltpDoUnloadFilter
    02 FLTMGR!FltpMiniFilterDriverUnload
    03 nt!IopLoadUnloadDriver
    04 nt!ExpWorkerThread
    05 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup
    06 nt!KiStartSystemThread

So, you're safe to still use the PFLT_FILTER pointer after unregister and before you return from unload.

-scott
    OSR

• Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 245

Thank you very much Scott !

I always assumed that pflt_filter should be considered invalid after fltunregisterfilter. Same way as any other object can’t be used after obdereferenceobject. But now I see why this is a special case.

Thank you very much again.