App I need for testing wont run on Test Mode system, so...

Is there anyway to get an unsigned driver on the system, any workaround, anyway of fooling the app into thinking the system is not in test mode?

Attach a debugger (and make it active) to the test system. Done.

Peter

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
Attach a debugger (and make it active) to the test system. Done.

Peter

Not on 1836 it doesnt, screen still shows TestMode and the app wont run.

Oh well.

You don’t put the Target into test mode. You just enable debug (and boot debug). This has always been “the way to do it.” It’s what we do in our classes, to enable us to entirely avoid signing anything.

Are you trying to say that in 20H1, Microsoft has disabled the feature that allows unsigned kernel-mode drivers to be loaded when a debugger is attached and active. That would be a massive and very drastic change. I find that very hard to believe, but I haven’t personally verified that this is not the case.

Peter

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
You don’t put the Target into test mode. You just enable debug (and boot debug). This has always been “the way to do it.” It’s what we do in our classes, to enable us to entirely avoid signing anything.

Are you trying to say that in 20H1, Microsoft has disabled the feature that allows unsigned kernel-mode drivers to be loaded when a debugger is attached and active. That would be a massive and very drastic change. I find that very hard to believe, but I haven’t personally verified that this is not the case.

Peter

I did just enable debug Peter, it wasnt it didnt have testsigning set, or loadoptions for that matter. But, this is 1836, TestMOde still displayed.

debug on, nothing else, 1936, displays testmode

Can you please bit a bit more clear about the build? “1836” isn’t a build number I recognize off-hand. The “most recent” build of 20H1 is 19041, IIRC.

19H1 was build 18362, version 1903; 19H2 was build 18363, version 1909.

If you mean 19H2 build 19363, version 1909, I do see that when you enable debug and/or boot debug, the system DOES show as being in test mode. Interesting… I never noticed that:

Peter

18362.19H1, forgot the 2. You can see it in the screen shot Peter. I installed an old wind10 off an MSDN subscription I had, went to update, and it blew away the entire OS and put this on, creating a windows.old dir

Oddly ver returns 10.0.18363.418 3 not 2

Oh isnt this ‘we will only make one Windows form now on, WIndows 10’ working out well! What a load of crap. THis is more of a mess than Vista.

10.0.18363.418 : That would make it 19H2… Updated through KB 4157389.

But, no matter. Thanks for the clarity. And for calling attention to the “Test Mode” notice that pops when debug is enabled. I never noticed that.

Peter

‘Windows, the non deterministic infinite state machine’. You always learn something! :slight_smile:

But it is odd that Ver and the TestMode splash display different numbers. Weird.

(I really with Msft had stuck with using major numbers to differentiate their OSes and not this garbage. )

quote ‘Windows, the non deterministic infinite state machine’. You always learn something!

yes you can always learn somthing from what others have done before, but I find disturbing is the number of times we get comments like this. which boil down into ‘well i didn’t know that’ and ‘why didn’t they make it easier for me to learn’.