Windows Crypto Library CNG

Hi All,

I am looking for information like encrypting/decrypting network packet using Windows CNG. I read MSDN documents on this, but not clear whether CNG can be used for network packet encryption. Could anyone please provide suggestion on this?

Thanks,

is there a reason you think it couldn’t?

I am not seeing any example of CNG being used in network. That is the reason i am asking this question. If you can point any example that uses CNG in the network side, it could be great.

Microsoft says that as long as you are at PASSIVE_LEVEL you can call just about everything

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/seccng/cng-features

and the only operations that this API performs that might cause a problem in any device stack are persistent key storage and retreival. That might interact with a TPM or with a disk - which might be a problem if the disk is iSCSI, but otherwise should be okay. The actual encryption / decryption will either be done with CPU instructions (AES NI) or specific sequences of standard CPU instuctions. So if you are really concerned, make sure you do the key storage / retrieval from somwhere else

Thanks MBond2, this info really helps.

I am glad I have helped