Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Windows 10 upgrades

TimmyDeanTimmyDean Member Posts: 1

I have a Windows 10 driver that I have signed via Microsoft and I install it just fine. However, when Windows 10 upgrades (recently to 1909) the registry keys to start the driver are missing. The xxxx.sys file was migrated but the registry keys to start the device driver are no longer present.
Is there something special I need to do to keep upgrades from removing the registry keys for the driver?

Thanks

Comments

• Bo_BranténBo_Brantén Member Posts: 99

I also noticed that the upgrade deleted the reg keys for some drivers, I think it was for manually installed drivers even if they where signed but it kept INF installed drivers!

• Bo_BranténBo_Brantén Member Posts: 99

I can now report that once again when running Windows update to install Windows 10 2004 it deleted all registry entrys for "manually" installed drivers, that means installing with OsrDriverLoader or double clicking a .reg file! However it does not delete INF installed test drivers.

It also deleted custom drive letters that pointet to 3:d party filesystems!

At the same time I can tell you that the message in the corner on systems with test-signing enabled is not updated with the new build number so you can bee fooled by using that as a quick reference!

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,108

Well, this makes sense, right? During a major upgrade, a new, clean, version of Windows is installed. The. The “stuff” that was installed on the old system is migrated to this new system. The method used to identify and install drivers is the INF file.

So, the moral of the story is: Use an INF (like you should).

This hardly seems shocking.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers