Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Windows 10 brightness control

parvathiparvathi Member Posts: 5

Hi All,

My query is related to Brightness control in Display settings. I find that in windows 10 running on my desktop(Dell), the brightness does not change when I move the scroll bar, but in the windows 10 installed in my Laptop(Dell) this works. Please note both desktop and laptop do not have ambient light sensor.
I have tried uninstalling monitor and display drivers and reinstalling them. Please, let me know any solutions for this.

Regards,
Parvathi

Comments

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,578

This is absolutely the wrong forum for this question, and so I feel somewhat conflicted about answering it.

Brightness means control of the backlight, and the backlight is only controllable on laptops. On your desktop, you need to use the physical controls on the monitor.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,013

(moved to NTDEV from WinDbg)

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Pavel_APavel_A Member Posts: 2,726

There is a way to control brightness (not backlight) via DDC/CI. Examples have been posted on the (dying) MSDN forum.

Would be cool if Windows Action panel (the Win+A thing) or Display settings allowed to control brightness of desktop type monitors too, not only laptop panels. OTOH I almost never used that.

-- pa

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,578

I'm not convinced there is an electrical path to control an external monitor's backlight. In a laptop, that backlight is connected directly to the low-speed peripheral bus and thus is controllable. Not so with an external monitor.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.