Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Check for paging file on read / write

Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 185
Hello !

Here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ifs/constraints-on-dispatch-routines it’s said “ Dispatch routines that are in the paging file I/O path cannot safely call any kernel-mode routines that require a caller to be running at IRQL < DISPATCH_LEVEL.” . So I can’t call fltgetstreamcontext for paging file on pre-write ? I understand that context can’t be attached to a pagefile, but I thought that get context call is at least safe. In Microsoft samples I don’t see check for pagefile.

So the question is it safe to call get context routines for page file on pre- read/ write ?

This documentation is for legacy filters, but in pre callback we are called in the context of legacy filter(fltmgr) dispatch routine. So the constraint should still apply, right ?

Comments

• rod_widdowsonrod_widdowson Member - All Emails Posts: 1,095

is it safe to call get context routines for page file on pre- read/ write ?

Only if you know this isn’t a paging file object. ISTR that’s there’s a fsrtl call to establish that. Or of course you could check the IRQL

• Sergey_PisarevSergey_Pisarev Member - All Emails Posts: 185
    edited January 31
    Thank you Rod !
    Yes, FsRtlIsPagingFile.

> @rod_widdowson said:
    > (Quote)
    > Or of course you could check the IRQL

What do you mean? In file filter dispatch we are guaranteed to be below dispatch level. The constraint is that for pf I can’t call passive and apc routines even at passive or apc. What would IRQL check do for me ?