Looking for WDK docs on old MSDN media

Hi folks, I’m trying to track down some old docs and am looking for a Vista-era MSDN DVD that has the WDK docs. Ideally January 2007 but anything right around there would work. Anybody have something like that sitting on a shelf by any chance?

Thanks,
Ted [MSFT]

I’m pretty sure they had stopped doing DVDs by then. I have the complete collection, and the latest I have is the XP DDK and Server 2003 DDK, disk
1009.3 from April 2005, and the Longhorn Beta 1 WDK, disk 3017 from September 2005. Do you want those?

Separately, I also have (still installed on my machine) all of the HXI and HXS files from the 6000 (October 2006) and 6001.18002 (October 2008) DDKs. Would those be better?

Wow, Tim, I’m impressed by your records keeping. Many thanks for doing the inventory. I’ll reach out to you in mail and we can coordinate.

We never throw anything away. It’s a curse. I also have a complete collection of Byte magazines, from issue #1 when I was still in high school.

I’ve got the “official” CD of the Windows Vista WDK from January 2007… It may in fact be the “Commemorative CD” specially created by the WDK team (if so, it’s one of the lower-key versions):

You’re welcome to the contents. Or to borrow it, even…

Peter

That’s super cool. I just have a question: what’s a CD?

I assume a Byte magazine is like an ammo magazine: it holds 15 or 20 bytes in low-latency storage, ready to be shot across the internet.

Ah, you young whippersnappers. You don’t know how good you have it. Back in the old days, we didn’t have the World Wide Web. We had to get our technical information in a thing called a “magazine”, which was kind of like a blog site printed on paper and delivered by a friendly mailman directly to your home every month. It was very difficult to click on a link in a magazine advertisement, but on the other hand, there were no “pop ups,” and you couldn’t get a virus from the ads.

“Byte” was the jam for a very long time. They created one of the earliest technical exchange bulletin board systems (“BIX”). I spent many nights dialed in to BIX with my 1200 baud modem, sharing stories with other nerds.