Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

AlignmentMask of WORD gives DWORD aligned addresses in my Storport Miniport

Suresh_PatilSuresh_Patil Member Posts: 122

Hi,

In my storport miniport driver I am requesting a WORD alignment by setting ConfigInfo->AlignmentMask = 1.
With this I am expecting that all the physical addresses I get will be WORD aligned, i.e. last bit cleared to 0.
I just happened to check for incoming addresses, and noticed I am actually getting DWORD aligned addresses all the time (last 2 bits as 00b)!
Now of course all DWORD aligned addresses are WORD aligned too, but just curious to know the reason why I am not getting only a WORD aligned address, i.e. address ending with 10b.

Regards,
Suresh

Comments

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,158

I find to be a very odd question. You're getting what you asked for, but it hasn't brought you joy. ;)

Most buffers are DWORD aligned, because the Visual C++ compiler aligns structures and variables to a 4-byte boundary by default, because Intel processors are more efficient with that. You really have to go out of your way to get a non-4-byte aligned buffer. Buffers allocated from the heap are often 32-byte aligned (although it depends on the size of the allocation).

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Suresh_PatilSuresh_Patil Member Posts: 122

Thanks Tim! Well, I am joyful enough :-) but also skeptical that my code has apparently never been tested with a non-DWORD aligned address being passed to my driver. What if there is a bug lurking during processing of such addresses!
    (Of course an alternative would be to change the AlignmentMask to 3 to officially make it DWORD aligned and mask off that possibility.)

I was wondering if there is any way (some tool or some setting) which can give me non-DWORD aligned address.

Regards,
    Suresh

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 7,505

You're getting what you asked for, but it hasn't brought you joy

Ah, the fate of the world, I'm afraid ;)

P

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 7,505

my code has apparently never been tested with a non-DWORD aligned address being passed to my driver. What if there is a bug lurking during processing of such addresses!

Seriously? You're worrying about testing a scenario that doesn't matter. Think about it... what bug would there be in processing word-aligned but not dword-aligned addresses? If you want to make sure your hardware works with such addresses, well... fair enough... just hard-code one and test it yourself. Then you're done.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Suresh_PatilSuresh_Patil Member Posts: 122

Thanks Peter. Actually one other post here (https://community.osr.com/discussion/291727) spooked me as the OP there is reporting that he is facing an issue with AlignmentMask of WORD but the issue goes away with QWORD.
    As I am also using WORD alignment I don't want to stumble upon something similar, especially in the field.

Thanks for the tip of hard-coding the address. Will try that out.