At which layer can I capture TCP SYNC-ACK, the ciphers selected by the server and the client and ser

Hello,
I am writing a WFP kernel mode component and I am still learning about windows filtering platform.
I want to capture certain details about a TLS connection when the TLS connection is being established.
I would like to capture

1. TLS version
  2. The cipher selected by the server (I need to capture the Server Hello at the client for this I guess)
  3. The certificate details
    I would like to know in which layer can I capture this information
    FWPM_LAYER_ALE_FLOW_ESTABLISHED_V4 - will this layer give me the needed information?
    Thanks in advance.

A TLS connection is just a straight TCP protocol. I would think you’d want FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4, although you will probably need the FLOW_ESTABLISHED notification so you know about new connections. Remember that TLS can occur on any TCP port.

Thanks Tim.

I was looking at MSDN link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fwp/tcp-packet-flows and I can capture the ciphers which the client sends to the server at FWPM_LAYER_ALE_AUTH_CONNECT_V4. However the server in SYNC-ACK sends the cipher it has selected and also the certificate. I would like to capture that information. Also the TLS version, I did not find this info in any of the ALE layers, especially when the client gets Server Hello message. I thought that FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4 will be useful once the handshake is complete. Please let me know if FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4 can be used to capture Server Hello message.

… Also the TLS version, I did not find this info in any of the ALE layers, especially when the client gets Server Hello message. I thought that FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4 will be useful once the handshake is complete. Please let me know if FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4 can be used to capture Server Hello message.

TLS is not part of the TCP protocol, it’s a separate layer that passes over a TCP socket. So, the TLS handshake shouldn’t even begin until the TCP connection is totally established, and the TLS exchange should just appear as normal TCP traffic. That’s why I would expect it in FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4.

However, I freely admit there are things in the filtering platform that don’t match my expectations.

You may also use *INBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4/V64 and *OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4/V6 I suppose.

Since TLS 1.3 encrypts all communication after ServerHello, it might be difficult to capture the certificate.

Thanks Martin and Tim, I would like to have some more information on the order in which callouts are called and I am not getting an MSDN reference for the same. For example, after a TCP connect, which callout gets called first and the subsequent callouts which get called after that.

Tim I guess you are saying that once the flow is established, I need to monitor the FWPM_LAYER_STREAM_V4. I will proceed in that direction.

Martin, thanks for pointing out about TLS 1.3, will the inbound transport V4 give me unencrypted certificate?

No, according to RFC 8446 (TLS 1.3), all handshake messages after the ServerHello are encrypted.

As far as I know, the inbound/outbound transport layers just give you the incoming/outgoing data as packets whereas stream layers allow you to treat them more as stream. I suggested the inbound/outbound transport layers since I have some experience with them.