Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

clang-format and driver code

Jeffrey_Tippet_[MSFT]Jeffrey_Tippet_[MSFT] Member - All Emails Posts: 520

. . . I am now free to return to banging my fucking head against the wall trying to make clang-format (as packaged in VS 2019) actually do what I want it to do. Because, you know, that's something easy to accomplish.

My head still has bruises from my fights with clang-format. I can't say I'm 100% happy with the current cease-fire, but I have been able to coax clang into doing something ... passable ... with NDIS code.

The hard part was SAL annotations. I eventually solved that using a feature that was just introduced in the very recent clang 9.0 release: StatementMacros. This 9.0 release isn't currently bundled with Visual Studio, so you have to download it separately and configure VS to use your custom clang-format.exe. Tools > Options > Text Editor > C/C++ > Formatting > General > Use custom clang-format.exe file.

Then in your .clang-format, put something like this:

StatementMacros: [
    'EXTERN_C',
    '_At_',
    '_When_',
    '_Success_',
    '_Check_return_',
    '_Must_inspect_result_',
    '_IRQL_requires_',
    '_IRQL_requires_max_',
    '_IRQL_requires_min_',
    '_IRQL_saves_',
    '_IRQL_restores_',
    '_IRQL_saves_global_',
    '_IRQL_restores_global_',
    '_IRQL_raises_',
    '_IRQL_lowers_',
    '_Acquires_lock_',
    '_Releases_lock_',
    '_Acquires_exclusive_lock_',
    '_Releases_exclusive_lock_',
    '_Acquires_shared_lock_',
    '_Releases_shared_lock_',
    '_Requires_lock_held_',
    '_Use_decl_annotations_',
    '_Guarded_by_',
    ]

That'll ensure that each function-level annotation winds up on its own line, like this:

_IRQL_requires_(PASSIVE_LEVEL)
NTSTATUS Foo()
{
    return STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
}

Another tip for drivers. If you use WPP tracing, you'll probably want this .clang-format directive:

CommentPragmas: '^begin_wpp|^end_wpp'

Otherwise, clang-format will permit itself to mangle the special //begin_wpp comment blocks.

That all being said, there's still brokenness here. For example, clang-format recognizes __declspec as a built-in token, so it won't let you hack it using StatementMacros. So NDIS code currently has this unfortunate spot of indentation:

__declspec(noinline)
    VOID ndisNblTrackerDebugBreak(. . . something . . .)
{
    . . .;
}

I also have some issues with clang-format's "binpacking" of arguments, but that's a general style issue and not specific to drivers, so I'll not discuss it here.