How to generate the TMF file for traces of WDI UE driver

Hi,

i am currently working on a wdi lower edge driver for wlan devices,currently facing an issue related to connection OID, to debug this issue further i would like to analyze the wdi UE driver which is provided by Windows.

i have collected the traces using this command
netsh trace start wireless_dbg provider={21ba7b61-05f8-41f1-9048-c09493dcfe38} level=0xff keywords=0xff
as per this link
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/wdi-tracing-with-wdilib

but when i try to generate the TMF file by this command
tracepdb.exe WdiWiFi.pdb
i get a message
/*******
error 0x2 loading WdiWiFi.pdb.
tracepdb : info BNP0000: WPPFMT No Trace entries found in WdiWiFi.pdb
Couldn’t process file WdiWiFi.pdb, Status = 0x00000002
Continuing

******/
i have taken the pdb [WdiWiFi.pdb]which is downloaded from the symbol server using Windbg

it seems that the symbol file is not having TRACES built in, could you please provide the location from where i can download the appropriate symbols
for my purpose,

also please suggest if there is any other way in which i can check the OID and events logs of UE driver

@joyjit_mullick – This post, or one similar to it, was initially posted to the Announcements and Administrative (A&A) section. I moved it from there to here, and deleted your repeat post here.

In future, kindly be aware of the category in which you post your queries. Everyone will appreciate it. Moving posts around and deleting repeat posts wastes time that the List Slaves (mods) could be better using at the whiskey bar downstairs, or eating ramen at the new noodle place across the street.

Thanks.

The (current version of) wdiwifi.pdb file does have trace entries in it. I’m not sure what’s gone wrong. Can you grab tracepdb.exe from the latest WDK and see if it can extract any TMFs from the PDB?

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.17763.0\x86\tracepdb.exe" -f "c:\mysymbolcache\sym\wdiwifi.pdb\AC5C589C14E5C753E8D9B8495E17FC481\wdiwifi.pdb" -p c:\temp\

Microsoft (R) TracePDB.Exe (10.0.17763.132)
 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

tracepdb : info BNP0000: WPPFMT generating c:\temp\\c2464cc8-2874-33ec-0dcd-38bc39c07755.tmf for c:\symhome\sym\wdiwifi.pdb\AC5C589C14E5C753E8D9B8495E17FC481\wdiwifi.pdb
. . . etc . . .

If tracepdb is able to extract roughly fifty TMF files from the PDB, then your PDB is good. And you can reuse those same TMFs with tracefmt.exe to decode the ETL file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.17763.0\x86\tracefmt.exe" -p c:\temp\ c:\path\to\my\trace.etl -o c:\temp\

If none of this works, please mention the OS version(s) and WDK version you’re using.

Hi Jeffrey,

thanks its working now after i used the commands shared by you for generating TMF