Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Code in Email Notifications

Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 12,715

When a forum post includes a code block, the email notifications show the block as one long, word-wrapped line. That makes the code... um... somewhat difficult to parse.

There are two good solutions to this. One would be to insert line breaks at the end of code lines. The other would be to send the notifications as text/html instead of (or in addition to) text/plain, and have them look identical to the forum posts.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Comments

• rod_widdowsonrod_widdowson Member - All Emails Posts: 971

please please please do not send text/html only. It can be considered as being rude (not to mention the issue that each client appears to render it differently)

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 12,715
    via Email
    rod_widdowson wrote:
    > please please please do not send text/html only. It can be considered as being rude (not to mention the issue that each client appears to render it differently)

Oh, come on.  In 1997, it was considered rude, when us nerds wanted to
    think we still controlled the internet, and not the commercial overlords
    that eventually took it over.  Today, that ship has long sailed.  I'd
    wager the many thousands of subscribers to this forum use no more than 5
    different mail readers, and ALL of them understand HTML thoroughly and
    consistently.  What you are describing is just a silly anachronism in 2018.

Also, having written a GUI mail reader myself, I know that supporting
    multipart/alternative with both text/plain and text/html is no more
    trouble than a text/html.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 6,836

First, thanks for the feedback. I definitely appreciate it. The whole "email support" feature on this forum definitely has a long way to go.

Second, let me remind you that these sorts of things are now (thankfully) entirely out of our (OSR's) control. That means the best I can do is file a bug, or complain, or something. And I will do that.

One on-going item that may affect this is our plan to (perhaps) change the editor used online. We have just started (internally) testing a different editor, and perhaps may move to that. When we do, it is likely that the appearance of the email contributions changes.

please do not send text/html only

Yeah, no. That's not going to happen. We do not send HTML email at this point, and I have no plans to do so.

I'd wager the many thousands of subscribers to this forum
    use no more than 5 different mail readers

Hmmmm... I think I'd take that bet. We have a very diverse group of folks who read email from this forum and they all use some pretty strange stuff. Over the years ,on NTDEV or SOMEwhere, we had occasionally had complaints from people who insist on reading plain text only and not HTML.

I myself use no less than three email readers (actually, four, if you count the two separate versions of Outlook for the Web).

Anyhow... (a) Thanks again for passing along this issue report, (b) I'll file a bug, (c) This may sort itself out or become worse when/if we change forum editors.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers