WADT(watchdog timer) Driver

Hello Guys,
I am working on a windows 10 Dell IoT platform. It uses Intel Atom processor. This processor has a SoC WatchDog timer. This watchdog is being kicked by some default driver provided by windows it self. Only detail of this driver I could find is in machine.inf. This .inf file seems to be catering to multiple other ACPI Devices. I believe the watchdog device is a ACPI device as well.

Now my requirement is that I need to disable the default driver that is currently kicking the watchdog driver and write on of my own. Also I want the kicking of the device be controlled by a user mode application. So I need to expose some interfaces of the driver to user mode application.

Unfortunately I have not found any way to disable the default Microsoft driver and neither is there any documentation to interface the default driver. Can anyone please point me to the right direction.

Can I disable the default driver for ACPI device? If yes how? If no then is there at least some interface to the default driver.

Thanks,
Rohit

xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

I am working on a windows 10 Dell IoT platform. It uses Intel Atom processor. This processor has a SoC WatchDog timer. This watchdog is being kicked by some default driver provided by windows it self. Only detail of this driver I could find is in machine.inf. This .inf file seems to be catering to multiple other ACPI Devices. I believe the watchdog device is a ACPI device as well.

Do you know for certain that the watchdog is enabled? Are you sure
there’s a driver? All of the watchdog timer matches in machine.inf
match are assigned a null driver. Is it possible the watchdog is being
handled by the BIOS in SMI mode? Have you looked at your DSDT to see if
you can identify the watchdog device? If you can find the identifier,
you can match it in your INF.

Do you know your watchdog’s I/O port numbers? Have you checked Device
Manager to see who gets assigned those ports?

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Yes, I know for certain watchdog is enabled. Yes there is a driver viz. watchdog.sys. I am not sure if watchdog is being handled by BIOS in SMI mode, but I highly doubt that.
Yes I do know the I/O port numbers of watchdog. I can see it in RW Utility. In Device manager it is assigned to Motherboard Resources, because the watchdog is a SoC.