Deploying Kernel Extension

Hello All. I am trying to determine the best way to deploy software-only kernel extension drivers in a headless fashion. Currently I am beginning the process to register for the HLK portal so we can logo sign things, but have no idea how to deploy effectively. Our current process is tedious and involves a powershell script. I know a lot of people use MSI/WIX to make installers. There isn’t a lot of good info on the inter-webs with respect to kernel extention/ non-pnp driver deployment, so any hints would be much appreciated.

xxxxx@outlook.com wrote:

Hello All. I am trying to determine the best way to deploy software-only kernel extension drivers in a headless fashion. Currently I am beginning the process to register for the HLK portal so we can logo sign things, but have no idea how to deploy effectively. Our current process is tedious and involves a powershell script. I know a lot of people use MSI/WIX to make installers. There isn’t a lot of good info on the inter-webs with respect to kernel extention/ non-pnp driver deployment, so any hints would be much appreciated.

This is not a hard problem. Installing a non-PnP driver requires three
things:

• Copy the binary into place
  • Create a Services entry for it
  • Start it

You can do all of that from a batch file, if you want:

copy mydriver.sys c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
sc create mydriver type= kernel start= demand
binPath=\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mydriver.sys
sc start mydriver

It’s really no more complicated than that. You can certainly use a tool
like NSIS to create your driver.