Yet another code signing question

Our standard (not ev) SHA256 Class 3 Code Signing Cert is due to expire later in the year and I’ve been tasked with determining if we need to renew it.

We have recently purchased an EV cert from Symmantec and my expectation was that we wouldn’t need renew, that we could sign directly with the EV cert for 7, 8, 8.1. This is based on my (potentially incorrect) understanding that an EV cert is the same as a Class 3 Code Signing Cert on a technical level, just that the owners of an EV cert have had to jump through more legal hoops.

It is also based on guidance in https://www.osr.com/blog/2015/12/29/recomm endations-driver-signing-windows-10-otherwise/ which states "If you qualify for an EV cert, and your company can manage the logistics associated with using one, by all means get an EV cert and use it to sign your drivers. Use it to cross-sign your drivers, if those drivers are going to run on systems other than Win 10. "

However after testing two different drivers, one signed directly with the EV and the other with the (soon to expire) Code Signing Cert I find that the former is unable to load on Windows 8, the latter continues to load fine.

Is my expectation that this should work incorrect?
J

The failure to load the EV signed driver was caused by me not cross signing with the correct VeriSign certificate. After having done so the EV signed driver correctly loads.

My apologies.
J