Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Unable to connect WinDbg to Hyper-V

OSR_Community_UserOSR_Community_User Member Posts: 110,217
I'm trying to use WinDbg 10 (1607) to debug Hyper-V and can't get the target to connect.
* I have tried with Windows 2008 x64 and Windows 10 x64
* I checked my .vmx file and have my serial settings set to \\.\pipe\com1_w2k (or win10) The other settings also look ok.
* I am following the directions on https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540654(v=vs.85).aspx
* vmdemux.exe prints "Requerying active channels from the hypervisor" Sometimes it also prints "Read Failed again 87071468
* kd.exe just shows "Waiting to reconnect..."
* On windows 2008, I was able to do echo hello>com1 and confirm from my host machine that the message was arriving in putty
* On Windows 10, I couldn't echo to com1, but I could see that the early boot process is calling out because it dumps a chunk of non-ascii to COM1 followed by the text "hvi64.exe"
* In both cases, it was not connecting to remote.exe , kd.exe, or windbg.exe
Suggestions?