Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Sept/Oct 2019 Issue of The NT Insider available

Download PDF here: http://insider.osr.com/2019/ntinsider_2019_01.pdf

It’s a particularly BIG issue, too: 40 pages of technical goodness, ranging from WDF to Minifilters. Check it out.
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Virtual NIC driver

Bob_Ammerman-2Bob_Ammerman-2 Member - All Emails Posts: 56
First, a short description of what I need...

I need to write (or find) a driver that emulates a NIC. All data that would normally be on the wire would be sourced from/returned to user-mode code using the driver.
Is there any sample/example code that would be particularly helpful? Any other helpful direction in which I might go?

Then, a short explanation of why I need it...

I have a program that simulates an embedded microcontroller and its peripherals. (I didn't write this, it is provided by Microchip, the producer of the simulated chip). The simulator is user-extensible, and I'd like to add support for the microcontroller's embedded NIC, reflecting all input and output via the driver described above. This will effectively create a 2-node virtual network that will allow the PC to communicate with the simulated system just the way it would with a real device. For example, custom applications on the PC, or even a web browser, could interact with the simulated embedded system.

Thanks,

* Bob

? Bob Ammerman
? xxxxx@ramsystems.biz

138 Liston St
Buffalo, NY 14223
www.ramsystems.biz

>

Comments

• If I am correct , the XP DDK 6001 contains such a sample at \network\ndis\netvmini

Regards , Christiaan

----- Original Message -----
    To: "Windows System Software Devs Interest List" <xxxxx@lists.osr.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:03 PM
    Subject: [ntdev] Virtual NIC driver

I need to write (or find) a driver that emulates a NIC. All data that would normally be on the wire would be sourced from/returned
    to user-mode code using the driver.
    Is there any sample/example code that would be particularly helpful? Any other helpful direction in which I might go?

I have a program that simulates an embedded microcontroller and its peripherals. (I didn't write this, it is provided by Microchip,
    the producer of the simulated chip). The simulator is user-extensible, and I'd like to add support for the microcontroller's
    embedded NIC, reflecting all input and output via the driver described above. This will effectively create a 2-node virtual network
    that will allow the PC to communicate with the simulated system just the way it would with a real device. For example, custom
    applications on the PC, or even a web browser, could interact with the simulated embedded system.

Thanks,

* Bob

Bob Ammerman
    xxxxx@ramsystems.biz

138 Liston St
    Buffalo, NY 14223
    www.ramsystems.biz

>

---
    NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

Visit the list online at: <http://www.osronline.com/showlists.cfm?list=ntdev>;

MONTHLY seminars on crash dump analysis, WDF, Windows internals and software drivers!
    Details at <http://www.osr.com/seminars>;

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at <http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer>;
  • Bob_Ammerman-2Bob_Ammerman-2 Member - All Emails Posts: 56
    XP?!? Anything newer?

Bob Ammerman
    RAm Systems

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 6:27 AM -0700, "Christiaan Ghijselinck" > wrote:

If I am correct , the XP DDK 6001 contains such a sample at \network\ndis\netvmini

Regards , Christiaan

----- Original Message -----
    To: "Windows System Software Devs Interest List"
    Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:03 PM
    Subject: [ntdev] Virtual NIC driver

I need to write (or find) a driver that emulates a NIC. All data that would normally be on the wire would be sourced from/returned
    to user-mode code using the driver.

I have a program that simulates an embedded microcontroller and its peripherals. (I didn't write this, it is provided by Microchip,
    the producer of the simulated chip). The simulator is user-extensible, and I'd like to add support for the microcontroller's
    embedded NIC, reflecting all input and output via the driver described above. This will effectively create a 2-node virtual network
    that will allow the PC to communicate with the simulated system just the way it would with a real device. For example, custom
    applications on the PC, or even a web browser, could interact with the simulated embedded system.

Thanks,

* Bob

Bob Ammerman
    xxxxx@ramsystems.biz

138 Liston St
    Buffalo, NY 14223
    www.ramsystems.biz

>

---

Visit the list online at:

MONTHLY seminars on crash dump analysis, WDF, Windows internals and software drivers!
    Details at

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at

---

Details at

• Slava_ImameevSlava_Imameev Member Posts: 480
    Look at VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet adapter at src\VBox\HostDrivers\VBoxNetFlt\win\drv
    The sources are available from www.virtualbox.org .
  • Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,102
    Christiaan Ghijselinck wrote:
    > If I am correct , the XP DDK 6001 contains such a sample at \network\ndis\netvmini

6001 was the Windows 2008 SP1 DDK. However, this sample is present even
    the current driver sample set:

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/tree/master/network/ndis/netvmini/6x

(XP was 2600, Server 2003 was 3790, Vista was 6000, Server 2008 was
    6001, Win 7 was 7600.)

--
    Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Jan_BottorffJan_Bottorff Member - All Emails Posts: 471
    There is a virtual nic in the current WDK samples on Github. Look for the netvmini sample. There is also USB over Ethernet code around, which you might find a way to simulate a USB rndis nic with, perhaps entirely from user mode.

Jan

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:04 AM -0700, "Robert Ammerman" > wrote:

I need to write (or find) a driver that emulates a NIC. All data that would normally be on the wire would be sourced from/returned to user-mode code using the driver.

I have a program that simulates an embedded microcontroller and its peripherals. (I didn't write this, it is provided by Microchip, the producer of the simulated chip). The simulator is user-extensible, and I'd like to add support for the microcontroller's embedded NIC, reflecting all input and output via the driver described above. This will effectively create a 2-node virtual network that will allow the PC to communicate with the simulated system just the way it would with a real device. For example, custom applications on the PC, or even a web browser, could interact with the simulated embedded system.

Thanks,

* Bob

Bob Ammerman
    xxxxx@ramsystems.biz

138 Liston St
    Buffalo, NY 14223
    www.ramsystems.biz

>

---

Details at