Nano Server and Windbg

I’m trying to connect Nano Server from Tech Prev 4 with windbg via the network connection.

Windbg says:

KDNET protocol version unsupported. You may need to upgrade your debugger.
Bad packet sent from <x.x.x.x>
Run nslookup <x.x.x.x> from a command prompt to get the machine name.

I’m using windbg 10.0.10575.567 from the vNext SDK 10575.0.151017-2006.

Anybody have some advice on this?

Thanks</x.x.x.x></x.x.x.x>

I’ll look into this a bit, but before I get too deep can you tell me if you get the same error with the latest SDK build of Windbg(10.0.10586.15) from https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Yeah, I tried that version originally. Then when it did not work, I tried the windbg in SDK provided by the EEAP, thinking that the EEAP version has something different.

Anyway, the version from downloads/windows-10-sdk is 10.0.10586.567 and it still has the same error with Nano Server and with the full ws16 with gui.

I do have an odd setup on my devbox. Since the sdk will not install on my win8.1 pro devbox (I get an MSI install error if I try), what I do is install the sdk on ws12r2 VM and then copy over the windbg.exe to my devbox. This has the unhealthy side-effect of not installing .dlls on which windbg.exe might rely. In the past I’ve never had a problem do this. However, it might be time to update my devbox to win10 pro.

Ah I see.

Not an ideal setup, but when you copy windbg.exe over you should copy over everything that’s in that "Windows Kits\10\Debuggers%architecture%" folder, including all the subfolders. You’ll at least need dbgcore.dll, dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll, and dbgmodel.dll. But really you should copy everything or you might run into other weird issues.