Hyper V - native NIC port life time dependency vs. its virtualized resources

Hi

I have a test case where if I delete the Virtual Network Interface while the VMs are still running, the physical interface that had been assigned to the virtual interface, is no longer displayed in Device Manager.

For now I have documented this as unsupported behavior that the user 'should first remove all the resources (Luns etc.) created/discovered by the physical miniport that are currently being used by the VMs before making any changes to the physical miniport driver for virtualization." i.e. In this scenario the user must remove the disks(s) from the Virtual Machine before altering the adapter configuration etc.

But is there any better handling of this use case

1. Like Hyper-V providing any hooks/help to let user know (pop-msg-box or event-log etc.) why the physical miniport driver cannot be mucked (disable/enable) etc.

2. Else is this case even worth looking for a programmatic solution like above, since Hyper-V also did not bother to implement such guards as well (like listing a BOOT port to be selectable for network virtualization, but only later during the process indicating that it can’t be etc.)

Thanks