Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

PID_0000 and VID_0000 issue

allen_zhangallen_zhang Member Posts: 268
I have a USB reader, It is works well in most computer, My driver has been passed DTM in Oct-2010. But It does't work in some computer(such as E5410, The old BIOS version is A04, I have update the BIOS to A07), There are "VID_0000-PID_0000" in details page of the device property by device manager.
I have check it by check build driver, A debug print message be outputed, It does't find the message ind DbgView when device be pluged in.

Anyone can tell me what's the reason?

Allen

Comments

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 14,317
    [email protected] wrote:
    > I have a USB reader, It is works well in most computer, My driver has been passed DTM in Oct-2010. But It does't work in some computer(such as E5410, The old BIOS version is A04, I have update the BIOS to A07), There are "VID_0000-PID_0000" in details page of the device property by device manager.
    > I have check it by check build driver, A debug print message be outputed, It does't find the message ind DbgView when device be pluged in.
    >
    > Anyone can tell me what's the reason?

That's not a driver problem, that's a hardware problem. Your device has
    failed to enumerate. This can happen if your device takes too long to
    respond after reset -- the USB reset timing requirements are rather tight.

You will probably need a USB bus analyzer to chase this down.

--
    Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• allen_zhangallen_zhang Member Posts: 268
    Tim Roberts
    Thank you for your help,
    How to check it by analyzer, There is issure can be found in my customers, they are in another country, I can't find it in my company, Could you give me more suggestions? Thank you.

Allen
  • Krzysztof_UchronskiKrzysztof_Uchronski Member - All Emails Posts: 165
    On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:52 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a USB reader, It is works well in most computer, My driver has been passed DTM in Oct-2010. But It does't work in some computer(such as E5410, The old BIOS version is A04, I have update the BIOS to A07), There are "VID_0000-PID_0000" in details page of the device property by device manager.
    > I have check it by check build driver, A debug print message be outputed, It does't find the message ind DbgView when device be pluged in.
    >
    > Anyone can tell me what's the reason?
    >
    > Allen

It's not a software issue. There was set of posts on MS Windows USB
    Core Team Blog about device enumeration process and, among other
    things, description of hardware problems that are leading to
    enumeration failures:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2009/10/31/how-does-usb-stack-enumerate-a-device.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2009/11/03/why-is-my-usb-device-not-detected-or-comes-up-as-unknown-device_3F00_.aspx

Kris
  • allen_zhangallen_zhang Member Posts: 268
    Kris,
    Thank you for your answer, I'll check it

Allen