Is the "load driver option" [F6] during OS installation can be used for all drivers

Hello All,

During Windows Os installation process , there is option to load drivers, “load driver option” or [F6]. Can this option be used to load any function drivers or is it limited only to storage drivers ?

The reason why i am asking is i installed the driver for my device using “load driver option” or [F6] and unsintalled the driver and deleted the .sys file of my driver from system32\drivers folder. And when i restarted the OS , we keep seeing a BSOD saying “critical sericve failed”…

The “start type” in inf file for my driver is Demand start.

I did some debugging and i found was
When you install through ?load driver option? as specified in the bug , windows OS adds registry entry for these drivers in a separate section also[CriticalDeviceDataBase].

[Location is HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC001 and HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC002]
[Location is HKLM\currentcontrolset001\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC001 and HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC002]
[Location is HKLM\currentcontrolset003\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC001 and HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC002]

if along with deleting the sys file if we delete these registries then we donot find any issues…

regards
-Jagadish hadimani

I’m not sure what your question really is here. Yes you can load an
arbitrary driver using F6 and yes if you uninstall that driver and
leave symbolic pointers to it in the critical device database, the
system, which you instructed needed your driver to boot, will not
boot. So what exactly is your question?

Mark Roddy

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:56 AM, wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> During Windows Os installation process , there is option to load drivers, “load driver option” or [F6]. Can this option be used to ?load any function drivers or is it limited only to storage drivers ?
>
> The reason why i am asking is i installed the driver for my device using ?“load driver option” or [F6] and unsintalled the driver and deleted the .sys file of my driver from system32\drivers folder. And when i restarted the OS , we keep seeing a BSOD saying “critical sericve failed”…
>
> ?The “start type” in inf file for my driver is Demand start.
>
> I did some debugging and i found was
> When you install through ?load driver option? as specified in the bug , windows OS adds registry entry for these drivers in a separate section also[CriticalDeviceDataBase].
>
> [Location is HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC001 and HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC002]
> [Location is HKLM\currentcontrolset001\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC001 and HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC002]
> [Location is HKLM\currentcontrolset003\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC001 and HKLM\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDataBase*AMDC002]
>
>
> if along with deleting the sys file if we delete these registries then we donot find any issues…
>
> regards
> -Jagadish hadimani
>
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>

>

I’m not sure what your question really is here. Yes you can load an
arbitrary driver using F6

If you try and load an NDIS driver during text mode install it will BSOD
when it calls NdisMRegisterMiniport. I think because NDIS itself isn’t
loaded yet.

James

Yes well for sure there is no guarantee that the load will be
successful. This is an interface for repairing or bootstrapping a
system.

Mark Roddy

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM, James Harper
wrote:
>>
>> I’m not sure what your question really is here. Yes you can load an
>> arbitrary driver using F6
>
> If you try and load an NDIS driver during text mode install it will BSOD
> when it calls NdisMRegisterMiniport. I think because NDIS itself isn’t
> loaded yet.
>
> James
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>