RE: Re: Re:[SPAM] Re:Re:Driver Programming Fundamentals/Philosophy, was: Re: Calling NdisRequest() f

> >What scares me is a guy from a totally non CS background whos heard driver

> programming is very cool

Correct. Such guys are rather common among “kool hatzkers” who know assembler
well, but cannot imagine the OS architecture.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. To begin with, someone who “knows assembler well” and someone “from a totally non CS background” just cannot be the same person, simply because these
things are mutually exclusive. What may actually happen is that someone who has in-depth knowledge of x86 architecture is unfamiliar with particular OS architecture. This experience is going to be more than helpfull when it comes to figuring out how OS actually works (which does not mean that the guy in question will be able to write production-grade drivers right after figuring it out - I fully agree with you here. Actually, if you really want to write a good driver, it is better to keep this knowledge to yourself, without practically using it)

In fact, the real professionalism is somewhere in the middle between such guys and
the academic theoreticians

I would say that the real professionalism is to know things what both types of guys know…
and avoid using this knowledge in practice whenever it is possible

Anton Bassov