volume filter installation failed on Windows 2012 R2

Hi,

I have KMDF volume filter driver implemented for Windows 2008 R2 using WDK 8.1.

I used to use devcon utility to install it on Windows 7/2008 R2. I noticed devcon utility is failed to install the same binaries (built for Window8 Debug x64) on Windows 2012 R2. The devcon does not returned any error, following are the details I got from event viewer. Can’t think of any reason why devcon is failing here. Could you please help me out?

Devcon Output:
C:\VolFltDriver Package>devcon.exe -r install VolFltDriver.inf Root\VolFltDriver
Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed…
Updating drivers for Root\VolFltDriver from C:\VolFltDriver Package\VolFltDriver.inf.
devcon.exe failed.

Event viewer Details:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: E0000247
P3: volfltdriver.inf
P4: 003bb7f47a620cf656b7074a5737fe3ce201f4ab

Thanks,
Amit

xxxxx@yahoo.com wrote:

I have KMDF volume filter driver implemented for Windows 2008 R2 using WDK 8.1.

I used to use devcon utility to install it on Windows 7/2008 R2. I noticed devcon utility is failed to install the same binaries (built for Window8 Debug x64) on Windows 2012 R2. The devcon does not returned any error, following are the details I got from event viewer. Can’t think of any reason why devcon is failing here. Could you please help me out?

The obvious question is, are you running in an administrator command
shell? Devcon requires administrator privileges.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

“devcon dp_add” is the way to add a driver package.

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> Hi,
>
> I have KMDF volume filter driver implemented for Windows 2008 R2 using WDK 8.1.
>
> I used to use devcon utility to install it on Windows 7/2008 R2. I noticed devcon utility is failed to install the same binaries (built for Window8 Debug x64) on Windows 2012 R2. The devcon does not returned any error, following are the details I got from event viewer. Can’t think of any reason why devcon is failing here. Could you please help me out?
>
> Devcon Output:
> C:\VolFltDriver Package>devcon.exe -r install VolFltDriver.inf Root\VolFltDriver
> Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed…
> Updating drivers for Root\VolFltDriver from C:\VolFltDriver Package\VolFltDriver.inf.
> devcon.exe failed.
>
> Event viewer Details:
> Fault bucket , type 0
> Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
> Response: Not available
> Cab Id: 0
> Problem signature:
> P1: x64
> P2: E0000247
> P3: volfltdriver.inf
> P4: 003bb7f47a620cf656b7074a5737fe3ce201f4ab
>
> Thanks,
> Amit
>

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

“devcon dp_add” is the way to add a driver package.

Well, that depends on whether he actually intended to drive a device
called Root\VolFltDriver, and clearly I should have asked that question
to begin with. Volume filter drivers don’t usually get installed with
stock PnP INFs, do they?

Thanks Tim and Maxim for the responses.

The cmd shell invoke with administrator rights. I tried to use devcon dp_install but that failed too. This failure could be because of signing integrity check enforcement in Windows Server 2012 R2. I could fix this issue by turning ON the nointegritychecks flag using bcdedit. Its just that I had to reboot the system after setting this flag, later on I could install driver successfully using devcon.

My volume filter is a boot start driver and devcon restarts the system after the installation. I have not mentioned anything about PnP in the INF file.

Thanks,
Amit Shinde

You need to look at the install log. Check setupapi.dev.log in the \systemroot\inf directory… that should help you track down the reason the install is failing.

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

Thanks Peter I could find setupapi.dev.log file. Earlier I tried to find setup api related files in \systemroot\ directory.

The error looks specific to code integrity enforcement and that’s why setting nointegritychecks to YES worked well.

Setupapi.dev.log:
Verifying file against specific (valid) catalog failed! (0x800b0109)
Error 0x800b0109: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.
Driver package catalog file certificate does not belong to Trusted Root Certificates, and Code Integrity is enforced.
Driver package failed signature validation. Error = 0xE0000247
Driver package import failed for device.
Error 0xe0000247: A problem was encountered while attempting to add the driver to the store.

xxxxx@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks Peter I could find setupapi.dev.log file. Earlier I tried to find setup api related files in \systemroot\ directory.

The error looks specific to code integrity enforcement and that’s why setting nointegritychecks to YES worked well.

Right. This system has been configured to reject any drivers not signed
by Microsoft. So, does that answer your question?

Yes :). Thanks everyone for your responses.

Yes :). Thanks everyone for your responses.