C++ RTL for NT kernel-mode drivers

> My understanding is that C++ exceptions are not supported in the kernel.

This is exact. But the kernel provides facilities almost the same as for user-mode applications for the C++ support is to be developed. The only cruel restriction is the stack size available for a kernel executing entity. Inspite of this the current RTL realisation is highly limited while handling the nested exceptions. You can see the tests included with the sources.

Does it allow the standard libraries to be utilized like vectors and streams?

But the standard libraries will raise exceptions under a variety of
conditions, and as such, the standard C++ implementations are not viable
in the kernel.

The current RTL includes almost nothing concerned with the ‘C++ standard library’ - no STL, no strings, no iostreams, no localisation facilities. It just provides a compiler- and environment-specific run-time support for some basic C++ features.
But as far as known the STL’s containers, iterators and algoritms are widely using exceptions and memory allocations than the STL becomes probably the most simple part of the standard library to be ported for using in the kernel (e.g. taken from the STLPort) in conjunction with RTL. The strings are too, but maybe it worth to be rewritten as internally based on UNICODE_STRING/ANSI_STRING for the best compatibility with the kernel interface. And the iostreams and localisation is the most unclear part of the standard library.

I think the authors claim support of exceptions for the kernel.

You are exactly right.

Good thing, BTW. std::vector and std::string are the things which we miss in
the kernel :slight_smile:

It seems not to be a good idea to use C++ in the kernel because of at the time it adds much more problems than resolves. But it’s just very interesting for some kinds of experimenting -)

BTW - what about Apple Darwin OS? do they support STL in their IOKit? or
IOKit is too limited in terms on C++ to have it, so they only have Core
Foundation there?

The Darwin IOKit uses not a true C++. It uses Embedded C++ - a highly restricted subset - without exceptions, rtti, only the single inheritance is allowed, no namespaces, no templates using is allowed, etc. The standard library is certainly restricted too in view of above restrictions. And the hand-made rtti-substitution is used in ‘IOKit’.

The use of 8-bit strings for exception messages in the STL is profoundly
offensive. There might be a worse way to do it, but I’m not sure I can
think of one.

There are at least two better ways: (1) each exception has an integer
code, and that is the only representation of an exception. If you want to
turn it into a message, you can have a component that does this, or you
can provide your own with localization (2) each exception is a subclass
(perhaps through several levels) of a base class “exception”. This is how
MFC does it; I can derive CSyntaxException from CException, and
CMissingSemicolon from CSyntaxException, and I can catch a
CSyntaxException and get all my exceptions. Then CSyntaxException has
some virtual methods, such as Report(), that return a string, and I can
modify this to allow for localization. This is vastly more elegant than
the horror I find in STL.

Getting an 8-bit string in the kernel is all-but-useless. And for
container classes, you need to distinguish between
STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES and STATUS_BAD_PARAMETER (such as “index out
of range”) types of cases. So even if C++ exceptions are supported in
the kernel (and what happens if an exception occurs and no suitable
“catch” exists? BSOD?), the STL is not really well-matched to the needs
of “embedded” programming (which drivers strongly resemble).

> My understanding is that C++ exceptions are not supported in the kernel.

This is exact. But the kernel provides facilities almost the same as for
user-mode applications for the C++ support is to be developed. The only
cruel restriction is the stack size available for a kernel executing
entity. Inspite of this the current RTL realisation is highly limited
while handling the nested exceptions. You can see the tests included with
the sources.

> Does it allow the standard libraries to be utilized like vectors and
> streams?

> But the standard libraries will raise exceptions under a variety of
> conditions, and as such, the standard C++ implementations are not viable
> in the kernel.

The current RTL includes almost nothing concerned with the ‘C++ standard
library’ - no STL, no strings, no iostreams, no localisation facilities.
It just provides a compiler- and environment-specific run-time support for
some basic C++ features.
But as far as known the STL’s containers, iterators and algoritms are
widely using exceptions and memory allocations than the STL becomes
probably the most simple part of the standard library to be ported for
using in the kernel (e.g. taken from the STLPort) in conjunction with RTL.
The strings are too, but maybe it worth to be rewritten as internally
based on UNICODE_STRING/ANSI_STRING for the best compatibility with the
kernel interface. And the iostreams and localisation is the most unclear
part of the standard library.

> I think the authors claim support of exceptions for the kernel.

You are exactly right.

But if exceptions are not supported, then this seems to suggest that
exceptions are supported. You seem to have confirmed both “yes” and “no”
in the same email, so I remain confused as to what is true.
joe

> Good thing, BTW. std::vector and std::string are the things which we
> miss in
> the kernel :slight_smile:

It seems not to be a good idea to use C++ in the kernel because of at the
time it adds much more problems than resolves. But it’s just very
interesting for some kinds of experimenting -)

> BTW - what about Apple Darwin OS? do they support STL in their IOKit? or
> IOKit is too limited in terms on C++ to have it, so they only have Core
> Foundation there?

The Darwin IOKit uses not a true C++. It uses Embedded C++ - a highly
restricted subset - without exceptions, rtti, only the single inheritance
is allowed, no namespaces, no templates using is allowed, etc. The
standard library is certainly restricted too in view of above
restrictions. And the hand-made rtti-substitution is used in ‘IOKit’.

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

Visit the list at: http://www.osronline.com/showlists.cfm?list=ntdev

OSR is HIRING!! See http://www.osr.com/careers

For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
http://www.osr.com/seminars

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

> But if exceptions are not supported, then this seems to suggest that

exceptions are supported. You seem to have confirmed both “yes” and “no”
in the same email, so I remain confused as to what is true.

Let’s clear some internals - NT environment implements the support of structured exception handling (SEH), available by using __try{}__except{} construction as supported by the MS C compiler.
Briefly speaking the one part of SEH resides in the kernel: RtlRaiseException() spawns the SEH-exception (processor’s software exception) that is handled by the dispatcher placed at the idt trap, the dispatcher in turn uses the unwinding mechanics provided by RtlUnwind()/RtlUnwindEx(). Another part of SEH is provided by a compiler/linker/rtl-library toolset - these are the SEH-handlers and function’s stack frames unwind information.
The full SEH support is available for using in NT kernel by your drivers all the time, because of it is uses SEH-handler ‘__except_handler()’ placed in ‘ntoskrnl.lib’ or ‘ntdll.lib’ or ‘wdm.lib’ or somewhere else standardly linked to the driver and the MS C compiler generates unwind information by defualt.
But when you use the C++ exceptions the compiler generates the invokes to the compiler internally pre-declared entry points assumed to be implemented by the run-time library (these points are a kind of CxxFrameHandler and CxxThrowException). And the library implementation uses SEH facilities to implement the raising of exception and the stack unwinding.
As a summary: NT kernel provides SEH, C++ compiler provides all the necessary unwinding information and the RTL library uses both them for the handling C++ exceptions.

The use of 8-bit strings for exception messages in the STL is profoundly
offensive. There might be a worse way to do it, but I’m not sure I can
think of one.

C++ doesn’t force you to strictly use something you don’t want to. You can build the exeption architecture to be used in the driver on your own preferences.

So even if C++ exceptions are supported in
the kernel (and what happens if an exception occurs and no suitable
“catch” exists? BSOD?), the STL is not really well-matched to the needs
of “embedded” programming (which drivers strongly resemble).

If the driver allows the C++ exception out of its’ scope the BSOD is to occure unless someone executes your driver in __try{}__except(1){} handler, because it is propagated up the stack as the SEH exception with specific code.

And you are right, the STL in common case seems to be less suitable for using in the kernel being compared with facilities ddk/wdk provides. But in some cases it may be very convenient and useful as not all the drivers are used for high performance and minor resource using tasks.

The string class does not need rewritten to be a UNICODE_STRING internally. If such a methodology were a good idea, then std::string would be based on the good old c string internally, but it isn’t. Instead there is a way to get to and from a c string and that’s all that is needed. In the kernel that’s all we need–just a way to get to and from the handful of string types we need to deal with, UNICODE_STRING being just one of those. A std::wstring would suit the kernel quite nicely. Tossing out all of that tedious RtlInitUnicodeString and such baloney code would be nice.

Sort of a rant, but I hate LIST_ENTRY. I enjoyed it when it and its manipulation macros were state of the art about 30 years ago, but in the new era they are truly horrid when viewed side by side castless std::list code which also snaps into range based for loops and so forth.

And the new c++11 threads are just killer–they make multi-threading sinfully easy. Would love that in the kernel asap.

There is really no limit to the practicality of the standard libraries in the kernel.

“Embedded c++” sounds like being confined to hell and I pray I never have to deal with it. Disallowing much of c++ because someone might not use it correctly is ridiculous. Those kinds of useless chumps are not worth restricting everyone else’s code down to the lowest common denominator over. Kind of like when they decided to make c arrays pass by reference because someone might pass a big one by value. But never mind you can pass a 1 megabyte structure by value, but never a 4 byte array. This embedded c++ sounds like the same dumb thing all over again. Punish the professionals for the sake of the idiots.

> The string class does not need rewritten to be a UNICODE_STRING internally.

Yes, i’m agree with it. The conversion is better to be done outside the stdlib, it’s simple enough.

Sort of a rant, but I hate LIST_ENTRY. I enjoyed it when it and its manipulation
macros were state of the art about 30 years ago, but in the new era they are
truly horrid when viewed side by side castless std::list code which also snaps
into range based for loops and so forth.

it’s suggested the ‘LIST_ENTRY’ and the ‘std::list’ are the rather different things.
The LIST_ENTRY is an intrusive structure, so one need to prepare his data to be stored here, when you can just add any copy-constructible data to the ‘std::list’
On the other hand ‘LIST_ENTRY’ is a non-typed data - you can add here any structure with ‘LIST_ENTRY’ intrused - it becomes like a C-style tuple but which must be accessed very careful.
And the ‘LIST_ENTRY’ is a must-used when dealing with the kernel.
So if using these things according to their capabilities - then no hate arises -)

And the new c++11 threads are just killer–they make multi-threading sinfully
easy. Would love that in the kernel asap.

At first the current RTL doesn’t even try to overstep the C++03 basic support, so how, when and by whom the newer stdlib will be developed if at the moment even C++03 std for kernel doesn’t exist ?

What about a ‘threads’? I don’t think it’s to hard to write a wrapper around PsCreateSystemThread, moreover the very simple version is presented in the test driver in the project. The point is to make using of std/boost::function and std/boost::bind - this is a really powerful and amazing facility. Currently there exists such a code in my project based on this RTL. But it uses hand-made replacement of bind/function and is used for dispatching IRPs and spawning the kernel threads and work items. But the library code looks like “can’t see without bloody tears” and woudn’t be released in the nearest future.

There is really no limit to the practicality of the standard libraries in the
kernel.

It seems to be a very optimistic statement -).

> The Darwin IOKit uses not a true C++. It uses Embedded C++ - a highly restricted subset - without

exceptions, rtti, only the single inheritance is allowed, no namespaces, no templates using is
allowed, etc. The standard library is certainly restricted too in view of above restrictions. And the
hand-made rtti-substitution is used in ‘IOKit’.

Thanks, this looks like what is used by some developers in the Windows kernel.

I will not be surprised if KMDF (very, very similar to IOKit) is developed using the same kind of C++ internally.

Also note: C++ standard RTTI is pathetic kludge, and thus is usually replaced with better hand-made stuff, like DECLARE_DYNAMIC in MFC or OSDynamicCast in IOKit.

Also, Apple’s CF reminds me on some pre-STL C++ contrainer objects, like the MFC’s one.

Maxim S. Shatskih
Microsoft MVP on File System And Storage
xxxxx@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

> it’s suggested the ‘LIST_ENTRY’ and the ‘std::list’ are the rather different things.

The LIST_ENTRY is an intrusive structure

Yes, and the same single structure can be on several lists.

Maxim S. Shatskih
xxxxx@storagecraft.com

> I will not be surprised if KMDF (very, very similar to IOKit) is developed using

the same kind of C++ internally.

Yes, the KMDF seems to be internally developed using not only the C but with using of the stuff that can be described as “MS approved ‘C with classes’ kernel subset” -) .

And no, IOKit and KMDF are very different in the imlemetation and the interface. KMDF exposes the raw C interface to the client. IOKit exposes the C++ class library - to do something useful one almost always subclasses whatever corresponding from the IOKit and implements the necessary virtual functions. Further the IOKit is implemented as the object-oriented class library whereas the KMDF is believed to be a pile of plane structures-wrappers around the kernel-exposed data types and C-functions. But the result is exactly the same - one just writes his drivers using these toolkits -)

Also, Apple’s CF reminds me on some pre-STL C++ contrainer objects, like the
MFC’s one.

Core Foundation, as far as i remember, is a user-land bridge between C- and ObjC-libraries. It’s not in the kernel, ObjC for driver development had been replaced by eC++ when NextStep became MacosX.
IOKit is based on the ‘libkern-c++’ - this is a kernel library for ‘basic object’, collections and strings. But yes - very similar in nature to the CF.

Also note: C++ standard RTTI is pathetic kludge, and thus is usually replaced
with better hand-made stuff, like DECLARE_DYNAMIC in MFC or OSDynamicCast in
IOKit.

It looks you are excessively strict about RTTI. The RTTI on my opinion is just a low level crutch exposed by statically-typed language for some run-time limited purposes and it does it’s duties well enough.
As well let’s just recall that when OSDynamicCast appeared the C++ was being in a slightly chaotic state. Moreover OSDynamicCast provides not just the RTTI in the C++ terms but also it exposes some kind of reflection.

> And no, IOKit and KMDF are very different in the imlemetation and the interface. KMDF exposes the

raw C interface to the client.

Object classes and their interfaces are very similar in 2 frameworks.

Just in IOKit you use C++ virtual method call, and KMDF wraps this to a C function :slight_smile:

Core Foundation, as far as i remember, is a user-land bridge between C- and ObjC-libraries.

I remember seeing CF in the Darwin kernel/IOKit, IIRC OSDynamicCast is in CF.

Probably I’m wrong. It was like 2.5 years when I was looking at it seriously.

state. Moreover OSDynamicCast provides not just the RTTI in the C++ terms but also it exposes
some kind of reflection.

This is the feature which C++ lacks. And that’s why “lack of standard RTTI” is not a drawback. People use their own.

Maxim S. Shatskih
xxxxx@storagecraft.com

> Object classes and their interfaces are very similar in 2 frameworks.

It doesn’t appear strange, because both ‘KMDF’ and ‘IOKit’ are exposes the terms for device driver developing. And in turn those terms are just dictated by the hardware architecture. Such an explanation seems to look plausible.

Oh, well, I’v just seen the xnu sources and the OSDynamicCast is defined here:
xnu-2050.22.13\libkern\libkern\c++\OSMetaClass.h
as the macros going into the internal implementation.

and as a prove that ObjC is banned from the kernel look at this stuff from xnu -)
#ifdef KERNEL
#include
#include
#else
#include
#include
#endif /* KERNEL */
and take into account that ‘CoreFoundation.h’ is a part of the user-land libs.

>also it exposes
>some kind of reflection.
>
>This is the feature which C++ lacks. And that’s why “lack of standard RTTI” is
>not a drawback. People use their own.

Yes, well, RTTI at the moment is not a popular solution. It may be useful for classes with a complex multiple and virtual inheritance but these classes in turn are difficult enough to project and they are hardly to be recommended for a all-round usage.
But by the momemt it was decided to include RTTI to the kernel RTL, almost all the necessary prerequisites had been ready - the EH-lib, the internal-compiler-data iterators lib, and the basic knowledge of how-to. Moreover MS had MSVS2012RC released at that time, where the rtti sources were included so all the unclears had been gone and the kernel rtti became ready fast enough -)

/kernel, which is the default for compiling drivers in WDK 8 and 8.1 does not allow the use of C++ exceptions or RTTI at compile time (as opposed to previous failures at link time due to unresolved symbols)

d

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of xxxxx@seznam.cz
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 11:02 AM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: RE:[ntdev] C++ RTL for NT kernel-mode drivers

Object classes and their interfaces are very similar in 2 frameworks.

It doesn’t appear strange, because both ‘KMDF’ and ‘IOKit’ are exposes the terms for device driver developing. And in turn those terms are just dictated by the hardware architecture. Such an explanation seems to look plausible.

Oh, well, I’v just seen the xnu sources and the OSDynamicCast is defined here:
xnu-2050.22.13\libkern\libkern\c++\OSMetaClass.h
as the macros going into the internal implementation.

and as a prove that ObjC is banned from the kernel look at this stuff from xnu -)
#ifdef KERNEL
#include
#include
#else
#include
#include
#endif /* KERNEL */
and take into account that ‘CoreFoundation.h’ is a part of the user-land libs.

>also it exposes
>some kind of reflection.
>
>This is the feature which C++ lacks. And that’s why “lack of standard RTTI” is
>not a drawback. People use their own.

Yes, well, RTTI at the moment is not a popular solution. It may be useful for classes with a complex multiple and virtual inheritance but these classes in turn are difficult enough to project and they are hardly to be recommended for a all-round usage.
But by the momemt it was decided to include RTTI to the kernel RTL, almost all the necessary prerequisites had been ready - the EH-lib, the internal-compiler-data iterators lib, and the basic knowledge of how-to. Moreover MS had MSVS2012RC released at that time, where the rtti sources were included so all the unclears had been gone and the kernel rtti became ready fast enough -)

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

> /kernel, which is the default for compiling drivers in WDK 8 and 8.1 does not

allow the use of C++ exceptions or RTTI at compile time (as opposed to previous
failures at link time due to unresolved symbols)

It appears not to be a problem at all because of the RTL build system doesn’t use the WDK-build nor the MSBuild nor the VS projects/solutions and is completely custom and based on gnumake. It sets up the compiler/lib/linker options that are necessary to get C++ driver with eh and rtti.

As a curious fact this RTL was projected after the first NT driver written by me was started as try{}catch(…){} in the DriverMain() and instantly had led to the ‘unresolved symbols’ you’ve mentioned :wink:

Hmmm… that seems a bit problematic. You might want to rethink
incompatibility with the only supported kernel compiler tool-chain.

Mark Roddy

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM, wrote:

> > /kernel, which is the default for compiling drivers in WDK 8 and 8.1
> does not
> > allow the use of C++ exceptions or RTTI at compile time (as opposed to
> previous
> > failures at link time due to unresolved symbols)
>
>
> It appears not to be a problem at all because of the RTL build system
> doesn’t use the WDK-build nor the MSBuild nor the VS projects/solutions and
> is completely custom and based on gnumake. It sets up the
> compiler/lib/linker options that are necessary to get C++ driver with eh
> and rtti.
>
> As a curious fact this RTL was projected after the first NT driver written
> by me was started as try{}catch(…){} in the DriverMain() and instantly
> had led to the ‘unresolved symbols’ you’ve mentioned :wink:
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> Visit the list at: http://www.osronline.com/showlists.cfm?list=ntdev
>
> OSR is HIRING!! See http://www.osr.com/careers
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
> http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>

>

> Also note: C++ standard RTTI is pathetic kludge, and thus is usually
> replaced
> with better hand-made stuff, like DECLARE_DYNAMIC in MFC or
> OSDynamicCast in
> IOKit.

You seem to have a very, very confused grasp of reality. DECLARE_DYNAMIC
and friends were not “added” because “RTTI is a pathetic kludge”. They
were CREATED because RTTI ***DID NOT EXIST***.

RTTI was added more than 15 years after DECLARE_DYNAMIC was created. Its
behavior is slightly different, and replacing it with an RTTI
implementation would break many existing MFC programs. So we’re stuck
with it.
joe

It looks you are excessively strict about RTTI. The RTTI on my opinion is
just a low level crutch exposed by statically-typed language for some
run-time limited purposes and it does it’s duties well enough.
As well let’s just recall that when OSDynamicCast appeared the C++ was
being in a slightly chaotic state. Moreover OSDynamicCast provides not
just the RTTI in the C++ terms but also it exposes some kind of
reflection.

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

> Hmmm… that seems a bit problematic. You might want to rethink

incompatibility with the only supported kernel compiler tool-chain.

it seems currently to be no reasons for that.

If you mean as the problem the ‘/kernel’-switch - so well, it seems to be just a mirror and smoke screen preventing developers from using the officially unsupported stuff. How can it be used in our particular case if the project intentionally ignores this prevention ?

Let’s look do the custom build system appear to be a problem ?
The currently released WDK8.1 and the early released WDK8.0 are not complete stand-alone solution for a driver development. Roughly speaking they represent only headers and libraries sets. There are no more compilers/linkers/build. The new WDKs require a VisualStudio where the wizards/projects/solutions to be used. All this stuff is rather annoying and is a great overkill for the small strange project like this kernel RTL. If MS would change mind and will release the modern human-kind WDK with complete toolset for the simple guys without root digital certificates, a great production code base and others black-jacks then it would be worth to write the ‘wdk-build’ scripts.

But now using the custom build system you can build everything in the project just using gnumake and one of the supported DDK/WDK:
ddk2600, ddk3790sp1, wdk6.1sp1, wdk7.1.0, wdk8.0+msvc2012.
and the wdk8.1+msvc2013 is planned to be added in some future.

If you want developers to adopt use of your library you really should
support building within the MSFT defined tool-chain. As is this is a
non-starter for almost everyone building commercial products. You might
find this unreasonable, but it will be a barrier to adoption.

Mark Roddy

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM, wrote:

> > Hmmm… that seems a bit problematic. You might want to rethink
> > incompatibility with the only supported kernel compiler tool-chain.
>
> it seems currently to be no reasons for that.
>
> If you mean as the problem the ‘/kernel’-switch - so well, it seems to be
> just a mirror and smoke screen preventing developers from using the
> officially unsupported stuff. How can it be used in our particular case if
> the project intentionally ignores this prevention ?
>
> Let’s look do the custom build system appear to be a problem ?
> The currently released WDK8.1 and the early released WDK8.0 are not
> complete stand-alone solution for a driver development. Roughly speaking
> they represent only headers and libraries sets. There are no more
> compilers/linkers/build. The new WDKs require a VisualStudio where the
> wizards/projects/solutions to be used. All this stuff is rather annoying
> and is a great overkill for the small strange project like this kernel RTL.
> If MS would change mind and will release the modern human-kind WDK with
> complete toolset for the simple guys without root digital certificates, a
> great production code base and others black-jacks then it would be worth to
> write the ‘wdk-build’ scripts.
>
> But now using the custom build system you can build everything in the
> project just using gnumake and one of the supported DDK/WDK:
> ddk2600, ddk3790sp1, wdk6.1sp1, wdk7.1.0, wdk8.0+msvc2012.
> and the wdk8.1+msvc2013 is planned to be added in some future.
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> Visit the list at: http://www.osronline.com/showlists.cfm?list=ntdev
>
> OSR is HIRING!! See http://www.osr.com/careers
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
> http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>

Agreed, working within the current MSFT defined tool-chain is a must. Anything else is of no interest to me. Logo compliance is a must. It was heavy handed that out of the blue Microsoft decided they must make /kernel exclusive of EH. Someone clearly had an agenda there as everyone has known for years that EH is the future of the kernel, not if but when and yours is not the first such EH library. Perhaps Microsoft wants to be the only ones to roll this out which is strange since they still don’t bother defining new & delete even today. Hopefully library developers like yourself can find a workaround to this.

And why are you talking about antiquated boost things? We are approaching the year 2014 so get on board with c++11 and std::bind, std::thread and don’t even mention legacy things.

There is really no limit to the practicality of the standard libraries in the kernel.
> It seems to be a very optimistic statement -).

It is 100% true. My post gave a flavor of this; std::wstring, std::list and std::thread are just the beginning of the incredibly useful library features that blow away code without them.

I made /kernel happen…so blame me.if you want. It has nothing to do with excluding others from a potential market, rather it is codifying the informal rules as formal. EH is not the future in the kernel as far as MSFT is concerned, the danger of misuse and corrupting system state is great. If that changes, we will update the flag to allow it as appropriate

d

Bent from my phone

Sent: ?11/?11/?2013 4:22 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest Listmailto:xxxxx
Subject: RE:[ntdev] C++ RTL for NT kernel-mode drivers

Agreed, working within the current MSFT defined tool-chain is a must. Anything else is of no interest to me. Logo compliance is a must. It was heavy handed that out of the blue Microsoft decided they must make /kernel exclusive of EH. Someone clearly had an agenda there as everyone has known for years that EH is the future of the kernel, not if but when and yours is not the first such EH library. Perhaps Microsoft wants to be the only ones to roll this out which is strange since they still don’t bother defining new & delete even today. Hopefully library developers like yourself can find a workaround to this.

And why are you talking about antiquated boost things? We are approaching the year 2014 so get on board with c++11 and std::bind, std::thread and don’t even mention legacy things.

> There is really no limit to the practicality of the standard libraries in the kernel.
>> It seems to be a very optimistic statement -).

It is 100% true. My post gave a flavor of this; std::wstring, std::list and std::thread are just the beginning of the incredibly useful library features that blow away code without them.

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer</mailto:xxxxx></mailto:xxxxx>

> RTTI was added more than 15 years after DECLARE_DYNAMIC was created.

Simultaneously in early 1990ies.

No one used C++ standard stuff, just because the layout of the RTTI object was too pathetic and there was no virtual constructor.

DECLARE_DYNAMIC was just better.

Nevertheless, RTTI is still needed for C++ to do EH: exceptions are classes inherited from one another.

Anyway these are all kludges: the full and proper RTTI support can occur in managed code only, like the WinRT-extended C++ :slight_smile:

Maxim S. Shatskih
xxxxx@storagecraft.com

> Nevertheless, RTTI is still needed for C++ to do EH: exceptions are classes

inherited from one another.

It looks to be not a case. The standard says on the contrary: the rtti operations can rise exceptions. All the rest interdependance between RTTI and EH is an internal specific of a compiler. E.g. in the case of the MS C++ the EH work well even if you’ve RTTI turned off - the compiler still generates the type-descriptor tables concerned with types involved into the EH-process. And note those tables are not the complete RTTI type-describing structures.
Well, several years ago the gcc had a problem - when the RTTI was being turned off while compiling the EH became broken - that was a bug.

Anyway these are all kludges: the full and proper RTTI support can occur in
managed code only, like the WinRT-extended C++

On my opinion the C++ currently doesn’t pretend to be object-oriented in terms as do the C#, Java or ObjC. The C++ is just an instrument to build your own OO-framework, and the RTTI capability is good enough as a part of the language but certainly may not fulfil your framework requirements.

If you want developers to adopt use of your library you really should
support building within the MSFT defined tool-chain. As is this is a
non-starter for almost everyone building commercial products. You might
find this unreasonable, but it will be a barrier to adoption.

Agreed, working within the current MSFT defined tool-chain is a must.
Anything else is of no interest to me. Logo compliance is a must.

Ok, yes. I’ll consider to supply VC2012 solution with the project for convenience.
But the ‘/kernel’ compiler switch is a kind of a mutual exclusion - it just can not be used to build a driver using EH and RTTI -).

It hardly beleived this RTL can be considered as a part of some commercial product in some future. Let’s just look at the current state of the project:

1. this is entirely a private investigative initiative;
  2. a whole bunch of undocumented or poorly-observed or reverse-engineered technologies is used,
  3. the officially unsupporetd or unrecommended facilities are used,
  4. initially released with the intention to be of an interest to the enthusiast of the C++ using in the NT kernel environment.
    Although the license is permittive enough for the code to be used in a wide range of side projects including commercial, someone intending to involve this code in his buisness need to be strongly ensured what does he do, because all profits and risks are to be taken on his own. The RTL author is only competent to answer the questions about internal layout of the library and supplied tools. :slight_smile:

And why are you talking about antiquated boost things?
We are approaching the year 2014 so get on board with
c++11 and std::bind, std::thread and don’t even
mention legacy things.

Oh, boost::bind and boost::function are never considred as antiquated IMO. Their std::-twins just resembles the experience of the corresponding boost facilities.

It is 100% true. My post gave a flavor of this; std::wstring,
std::list and std::thread are just the beginning of the
incredibly useful library features
that blow away code without them.

These are a kind of a good, but the great efforts are to be released for this to become real in the kernel.